Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Something I forgot...

It's funny how little conversations can give you faith in the world.. something I forgot to mention, which should have been in one of the first blogs was a little moment I had at a bank in Vancouver.



I walked up to the counter and explained that I needed to get some coins changed into US dollars as I have this annoying ability to build up a huge amount of coins. Regardless of how much change is rattling around my pocket I still generally pay for things with a note if one is to hand. Due to this I had managed to rack up about 60 dollars in small change. Obviously you can't spend Canadian dollars in the US (even though you can spend US dollars in Canada) and due to the amount I had it took a little while for them to be counted etc. So whilst I was standing at the counter the lady asked me if I was going to the US on vacation. Obviously I then told her my intended plan and reasons for doing it.. the conversation went something along the lines of this (may not be 100% correct as it was 3 months ago, but it's pretty close):

Lady "So are you going to the US on vacation"

Me "Sort of.. I'm actually cycling down to Los Angeles"

L. "Wow, this time of year? Are you crazy or brave?!"

M. "I think maybe more crazy than brave.. but I am doing it for charity so it for a good cause"

L. "What charity are you doing iot for?"

M. "Cancer Research"

L. "Did you lose someone to cancer"

M. "Yes, my dad died of cancer when I was 18"

L. "My mum died of cancer when I was 1"

M. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that"

L. "Do you get jealous of people when they talk about their dad?"

M. "Not really, although sometimes I do think about it when I hear people talking about theirs"

L. "I aways get jealous of people talking about their mum and stuff like that"

M. "I suppose I've always had quite a good way of putting things into perspective, and there is always someone worse off than myself, at least I got 18 years"

L. "I think what you are doing is amazing.. not many people would do that sort of thing"

M. "Thanks... it has taken me 16 years to get round to it though!!"

She then started to get a little twitchy and the conversation tailed off a little. I wasn't sure if I had offended her in some way.

Just as she got the all clear to give me the US dollars from her colleague she wrote something on a post-it note and put 2 dollars on top of it... and as she counted out the money she also slid the post-it and 2 dollars across the counter to me. I wasn't sure what she was doing (although it costs 2 dollars to change your coins if you don't have an account).

The post it note read "If we talk anymore I'll start crying here is your $2 back please promise me you will go and buy yourself a treat from me. Take care, Dezi"

Before I even had a chance to thank her she had put the cashier closed sign on her counter and walked off into the back room.

I wasn't sure if I should feel guilty for making her cry.. but it did give me faith that I was doing the ride for all the right reasons. I wanted to put it as my first blog, and put the post-it note in my wallet. Unfortunately as things transpired I forgot about it (I blame the rain and the tiredness) but I literally just found said post-it note in my wallet... and I think it should not go unmentioned. Nice one Dezi..



No comments:

Post a Comment