Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reflection and thanks.

It's been just over a month since I completed the ride from Vancouver to Los Angeles, so I thought I would just reflect on what I now feel was an exceptional achievement. I have to admit that I was unbelievably jadded for the first few weeks of being back in England. The ride had taken a lot out of me, and ultimately exhausted me more than I had thought it would, or could.



Being so exhausted didn't help me when I was trying to think of the good points, as all I could focus on were the bad bits. I had been more tired than ever for the last 2 weeks of the ride, with the mental strain of route planning after a long days ride amplifying feeling of tiredness throughout. 

I would certainly do a similar thing again, if not exactly the same ride. Although I may not do it on my own next time. I think the exhaustion I felt was half physical and half mental. It takes a hell of  alot of effort to remain focused every day, especially when you know you are going to be cycling alone in the middle of nowhere in the pouring rain! As I headed down into southern California the beautiful beaches and sunshine made things feel so much easier, but don't get me wrong, easier doesn't mean easy! 

I had lots of stuff with me that I didn't use throughout the whole trip, but as many people have said to me since, it is better to have and not need than need and not have. The fact that I sent 5 kilos of stuff back from Poulsbo on day 3 made things alot easier, and made me appreciate how little one does need for a trip like this. Had I carried that extra 5 kilos all the way I may not have made it!

When I checked my luggage in at LAX to fly home, the total weight, including bike, was just over 41 kilos. That doesn't seem a huge amount, until you consider that it is almost two thirds of my body weight! I certainly wouldn't take as much stuff next time, but feel it was more of an achievement carrying the extra weight.

Best bits:

Seeing the expression on the immigration officers face at Blaine whilst going from Canada into the US when I told him I was cycling to Los Angeles.

Making it to Ferndale on day one. After the start to the day and the nervous tension leading up to it, to actually be on the road and doing what I had said I was going to do felt good (and not forgetting seeing an X-wing pilot and general Madine in the motel of course!).

My first 80 mile day, between Eureka and Garberviille. Especially as for 80% of that days ride it was up hill. A slow meandering uphill, but nonetheless, uphill! Not forgetting the Avenue of Giants, which was the road I followed for most of that day. An amazing road through the redwoods of northern California.

Coming into San Francisco over the golden gate bridge. Painful as it was getting up on to the bridge, cycling across it felt great.

Looking at the total distance after the first week, and realising that if I kept over 50 miles a day on average I would complete the ride quicker than I had envisioned. The average for the whole trip was 54.49 miles per day. (Or if you include rest days in the calculation - 45.4 miles per day)

Some of the scenery was quite spectacular. Being high up in the hills while next to the coast was something special as you could quite literally see for miles and miles and miles. Seeing a town down below me as a spec in comparison to the depth of distance I could see was breathtaking.

Whether there was a best days ride or not I don't know, but certainly from Santa Barbara to Malibu was lovely, it was the only day I had someone to ride with since the first 30 miles, and the weather was amazing. And it was mostly flat!

Obviously I couldn't have done this whole thing entirely alone. So special thanks have to go to a few people:

Carl, for being my gym buddy for the months leading up to the ride. Gym is boring at the best of times, but having someone there to help and encourage makes it a whole lot more bearable. Not forgetting Amy and Ashra as they were often there to help with sitting in the hot tub after a hard workout ;)

Justin for providing me with the facilites as well as a place to stay in Vancouver whilst I was planning the trip. The apartment was second to none and having a gym and pool at my disposal made it all the easier to get in shape.

Mark, for joining me on day 1. Ableit it was his fault (or realistically the Flat Rats fault) I felt so crap when I left Vancouver. If there was one piece of advice I would give to others embarking on a similar trip, it would be to make sure they are not hungover at the outset!  

Saori, for putting up with my ridiculous plan and for giving me the confidence when I was panicking about what a stupid idea it was as the departure date got closer and closer. Also for being an absolute rock while I was on the road, and taking the time to make sure she was at the other end of a skype call almost every single day.

It's amazing how just talking to friends can raise your mood and put thiings into a better perpective, for there were days when I could have completely freaked out had it not been for a video call here and there. I have to thank G and Gron, as well as Chris, for their expressions and laughs when we were looking at the hills I had crossed, and the ones to come! To Daniel, even though he told me I was doing it in the wrong country at the wrong time of year, I knew he had done some big rides in his time and his expert advice, before the trip and while I was on the road, was priceless. Big thanks to Charlie, for his almost daily emails full of encouragement, and poetry, to take my mind off the despair of having so far to go before the finish. My mum and sister for always giving me encouragement while I was on the road. I really don't think I would have been able to finish without all these people. I mustn't forget Stu and Jo for their skype chats, and also Ben, Sally, Kieron and Nick, for even though they were all more battered than a piece of cod, their late night telephone calls raised my spirits no end.

Also, thanks to Krista, for putting me up in LA when I finished, it was quite wonderful to have somewhere to stay where I was made to feel so welcome when I was so exhausted, and also to Michael for driving me round LA all day looking for a bag for my bike so I could take it on the flight home!

While I think of it, thanks to those that read my blog thoughout. Seeing that people were reading it in places like Iceland, France, Switzerland, Russia and Malaysia was nice, seeing as I don't know anyone living there, as well as the US, which finished second on the tally list, even though I only know one person that lives there!!

And last, but certainly not least, to all those who sponsored me. Seeing the total raised increasing on a daily basis made me realise quite how many people were paying attention, especially when I felt completely alone and in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but alot of road and hills (oh, the hills!?!) between me and my destination. For those that kept telling me 'they keep forgetting to sponsor me' - you still can, just stop talking about it and do it!!

I think that covers most bases. It's starting to sound longer than an oscar speech, but quite frankly, it was far more difficult than anything anyone has ever done to get an oscar so it should be.

I've got a few more photos to put up as well as more videos that need a bit of editing, so I'll add those as and when. 

So, what next I hear you ask. Bloody good question. Seeing as I am now in Thailand I would think a week or two on some islands, before embarking on my next career as an English teacher, is probably the best idea I would think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment