Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 29. Malibu Wezley

I awoke to another beautiful day in southern california. It has to be said that the whole cycling thing is so much nicer when it is sunny, and so much easier when it is flat! Coming out of Santa Barbara was probably more beautiful than going into it, the place really does look like a fantastic holiday destination so I'll have to put that on the list for another time. It would have been nice to hang around but not this time, not when I'm so close.



There was also a first on todays ride, after 1600 miles of the west coast of the US, I had some company! I had stopped just outside Santa Barbara for a quick stretch and a protein bar, when a couple out on a morning bike ride pulled up and started asking where I'd cycled from etc.. so as they were going the same way off we peddled together. I have to say it is so much nicer being able to have a chat whilst you are cycling. It takes the mind off the aches and pains. Nicole and Jim, if my memory serves me correctly, were from Ventura, we must have cycled about 15 miles before I had to take the turning down towards the PCH. They also gave me directions, which was a blessing as I had become a little lax in my route planning last night and thought as long as I keep the water on my right I would be ok!

So, that goes back to my point that if you are planning this sort of trip, take a friend! It'll make it much more interesting.

I'm 20 miles from LAX. I can't believe it. It's been a long few weeks, probably the toughest few weeks of my life, physically anyway. However, whilst weeks 3 and 4 were depressing and difficult, week 5 has been a joy..

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, still 20 miles to go. 79.74 miles on the speedo.

2 comments:

  1. Meant to tell you this earlier, but LA's rubbish. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, if you haven't got a car in LA it's a total waste of time. Takes ages to get anywhere!

    ReplyDelete