Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 27. That was a long one

It's funny how the longer days do not feel as long as the shorter days. Clearly this makes no sense, but it's got to the point now where the mileage is not actually that relevant - I know that if I have to make 50-60 miles then I need to leave by 11.00 in the morning at the latest, if I need to get 60-70 miles, I need to leave by 10. 



Any longer days just require an earlier start, you cover more distance and pedal for longer, but the satisfaction of seeing 80 miles or so takes a lot of the tiredness away. Doing 50 miles no longer feels like a feat, as it did in the first week or so.

Today was lovely, it was blue sky and definitely the warmest it's been. I've been shedding layers on a daily basis since San Francisco and hopefully I'll get to do the last couple of days in shorts and a top, rather than 2 underlayers, shorts and waterproofs on the legs and 3 underlayers, cycling top, waterproof (and even fleece on some days) on top.  In fact I may even have had seven layers on top some days coming through Washington and Oregon. Did I mention the 2 pairs of socks and 2 layers of waterproof covers on the feet?!

Doing 85 miles today feels great. Yes, I am shattered. Yes, my legs feel like they may never straighten again. But covering that kind of distance is such a nice feeling. I know most of the purists (or at least cycling purists) will say this is not a big deal. Most of the forums and blogs I read when planning for this were littered with people covering as much as 150 miles in a day.. big deal. It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Actually on that point I've been coming up with various do's and don'ts for next time. Like don't take a tent if you aren't going to use it. Do take a friend, as that will certainly take the edge off the boredom. Don't lose your guide book on day 1. Do make sure you have time to enjoy the good bits. Don't cycle down the pacific coast of the US in winter. Do in the summer. Planning is key. I've spent as much time planning the next days cycle every evening as I actually spend cycling it. Make sure you have some sort of map that can help (for instance a road map of the west coast is not suffficient). And always make sure you have some food left for when you get wherever you are going.. some towns don't have luxury's like restaurants, or shops for that matter (visit Raymond and you will be in awe of it's lack of anything and everything)

I'm sure I'll come up with a more definitive guide when I finish, which as it stands will be Friday. So exciting. I've also managed to get myself on the red eye from LA to London on Monday. Thing is, and I'm sure this just goes in line with my inability to plan anything accordingly, I'll be leaving 20 degree LA for 0 degree London. At least I won't be cycling there I suppose! 85.22 on the speedo. I managed to not mention hills today as well. Ah.

No comments:

Post a Comment