Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 25. Big Hills, Sur!

I decided to do another short one today - I'm coming up to another section where it seems the cost of staying in certain places is rather expensive. There are quite a few places to stay along the coast but I'm not really interested in paying extortionate rates at this stage in the game.



Big Sur is the destination of the day, which isn't what you would call cheap, but certainly much cheaper than Lucia's Lodge which was the next option down the coast.  Apart from a couple of really big hills it was ok. I'm getting a bit bored of mentioning the hills, and the weather (slightly grey all day, rained a couple of times) but there is little else to mention, apart from the coastline, which I think i've mentioned to infinitum in previous blogs. I suppose the hard shoulder has pretty much disappeared on route 1 so I am now riding in with the traffic, it's not too busy, but it seems lots of people don't like to slow down and are quite happy to overtake you on a corner going over the brow of a hill.

The shorter days I've done since leaving San Francsco is only going to benefit me from here on in. I've got a couple of really long days coming up before Santa Barbara, but once I'm there it's less than 100 miles to LA. Not sure if I am going to have a day in Santa Barbara or whether to just keep plodding on. We'll see how the legs feel when I get there.

The other thing I need to do is to get a flight home! I haven't wanted to book one yet as I didn't really know when I would get to LA. But now it's looking like it will be Friday or Saturday I can start to think slightly further ahead than the next town along the coast! Anyone got any ideas on a cheap flight to London from LA?! 32.27 on the speedo.

1 comment:

  1. Get that bloody tent out of your bag, you lightweight!
    Have you used even once it yet?

    ReplyDelete